Tweet Follow @AmadeoConstanzo
Because a lot of my friends are having babies these days, I am posting this important infant nutrition summary that I've done a few years ago.
• Breastfeeding is very important for 12 months (exclusively if possible). Do it for at least six months. (It gives your infant a good start in life because there are overwhelming scientific evidence showing breastfeeding increases cognitive (brain) development, visual development (less chance of nearsightedness), less chance of infection, and less chance of all types of disease (now and later in life))
• Consider the use of breast-pumps. One experienced mother recommends the Medela pumps - http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/ (I have no financial interest or affiliation with Medela.)
• NO cow’s milk before 12 months
• Soy milk does NOT have enough nutrients for infant. When unable to breast feed, use infant-formula
• NO juices before six months
• NO cow’s milk before 12 months (because of the risk of causing anemia which is very serious)
• NO honey
• Do NOT introduce solid food until your doctor says the infant is ready. (DEFINITELY NOT BEFORE 4 MONTHS. If your doctor tells you to introduce solid food before 4 months, seek another doctor - a second medical opinion.) Food may be introduced after 4-6 months depending on the individual case.
• Mothers should consult their doctor before taking any medication (over-the-counter or prescription) and any alternative medicine/supplements/herbals because they may pass into the human milk.
• Discourage the use of artificial nipples and pacifiers until breastfeeding is well established at about 1 month of age.
• Have frequent feedings to maintain an adequate milk supply
For more infant nutrition and health information, go to:
To search for more reliable and accurate infant nutrition and health information, use my customized health and medical search engine at:
To subscribe to this blog for free on your reader, feel free to click “Subscribe to Posts” on the right.
Copyright: © 2009. This document is the sole property of Amadeo Constanzo. You may use this article for free on your web site, blog, or other publication if and only if you include this entire copyright notice including the following links and statement. Other free teachings from Amadeo Constanzo can be found at SpirFit.com and SpirFit.org
Shu Chan 陳樹中 Terence Chan LIU